German is a difficult language to master, but luckily, it’s quite easy to get around with just English as you get started in Berlin. And yet, there are thousands of situations where your broken “Denglish” just won’t cut it. For these occasions, it might just be worth your while to get the help of a German-speaking local.
Here are a few examples:
- Getting your Anmeldung at the Bürgeramt.
- Applying for a visa/residence permit from the Ausländerbehörde.
- Signing up to an internet plan for your home.
- Navigating your tax situation with the Finanzamt.
- Explaining what needs to be repaired to the handyman.
The Bürgeramt and Ausländerbehörde are especially frustrating, as some might send you away (and bring back a German speaker) if they can’t communicate with you, while some service providers and sales representatives might simply refuse to talk to you.
Fill out the form on this page and I’ll match you to a local who’ll help you out – no matter what the issue. And who knows, maybe you’ll even make a new friend!